Containing much vitamins and nutrients, sweet potato is known as one of the world healthiest food. This root vegetable is quite popular as it is easy to find and also inexpensive. Commonly, there are two kinds of sweet potato, they are: orange-fleshed sweet potato and purple-fleshed sweet potato.
As a vegetable, this root vegetable offers many benefits for our body. Some studies have shown that both orange and purple-fleshed sweet potato are containing a lot of health benefits. In fact, it is a good source of beta-carotene that acts as antioxidant. The high level of antioxidant in this type of potato can help protecting cells from free radical and reduce the risk of some serious illnesses, like cancer and heart attack. Another important fact is that it also has high amount of vitamin A that will be beneficial for our vision, reproduction and for our bone growth. More than that, this healthy vegetable is also a rich source of vitamin B3, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin D. It is rich in some great minerals, like manganese, phosphorus and potassium.
Because of its sweetness and versatility, this is now popular in many new cooking recipes. There are many simple ways to enjoy this nutrient and vitamin-packed vegetable. You can simply boil and mash it, or combine it with other ingredients. Somehow, if you are looking for a sweet potato fries recipe tasty meal for your snacking time, having it air fried or cooking it in olive oil can be a perfect healthy choice for you. Instead of having high carb French fries for your meal, sweet potato fries calories will be lower and better for your health. Moreover, if you are having a diet program, this menu could be perfect as this low carb potato fries is not as bad as regular French fries. If you wonder how to make sweet potato fries recipe, then see below:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Crispy Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 5 large sweet potatoes to fry
Seasoning, like: salt, sugar, pepper, or garlic and chili powder (optional)
How to Fry Sweet Potato
Pre-heat the oven at around 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6 mark whilst you prep for the this recipe.
- I like sweet potato fries with skin on, so I would just scrub the dirt off whilst running it in cold water. If you don’t like the skin or have OCD then Peel the skin off. Cut the potatoes into sticks or wedges in similar sizes. The same size sticks will be useful to make sure that the pieces are cooked at the same rate.
- To make it more delicious, add a tiny bit of sea salt, paprika or chilli powder and some ground pepper to season in the bowl. Remember, salt can be added after cooking as well so try not to put too much as it will be harder to correct it.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in to bowl, and mix it well. This olive oil coating will make the sweet potato chips in the oven crispy. Too much oil can make it soggy and over power it with olive taste.
- Spread out the sweet potato wedges on to a oven tray and bake it for around 20 minutes until the color becomes golden brown and crisp.
- Let it cool for couple of minutes before serving the crispy golden sweet potato fries. Add more salt at this stage but it’s nice when it’s sweet and crispy.